Full - Radiotherapy Module One: Academic Nursing Unit (ANU) July 3
- No sessions currently available
Mode of delivery: Face-to-face (with online supporting materials)
Course duration: 1 day
Course dates: For available course dates and delivery modes, scroll to the bottom of this catalogue entry. Note: spaces may be reserved for Peter Mac staff or open for sign-ups from the general public. Ensure a relevant space is available by checking the listings below before purchasing this course.
Pre-requisites: Peter Mac staff members require manager approval to attend this course. No prerequisites exist for external participants.
Audience: This course is open to registered nurses and enrolled nurses.
About this learning program:This course acquaints participants with various types of radiotherapy including external beam, brachytherapy and radioactive isotopes. The biological impact of radiation on cancerous and normal tissue, adverse side effects and the nursing management of people undergoing radiotherapy is discussed.
Learning Objectives & Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this learning program, the learner will be able to:
- Identify principles of radiation therapy
- Explain the radiobiological basis of radiation therapy and the planning and treatment processes that support treatment delivery
- Recognise new and advanced radiation therapy treatment techniques
- Identify site-specific side-effects of radiation therapy treatment
- Explain the rationale for undertaking systematic patient assessment prior to and throughout radiotherapy treatment
- Describe the nursing management of key radiation therapy side effects
- Define radioisotope/ radioactive emissions
- List indications for Iodine-131 treatment and principles of use
- Identify the principles of radiation safety and roles & responsibilities of the health care team in managing patients receiving radioisotopes
On completion of the program, participants will be able to explain how radiotherapy works, discuss treatment side effects and their management.
What will I get when I have completed this course?
Upon attendance of the training session, learners will obtain a Certificate of Completion as proof of training.
How to enrol: Click the "add to cart" checkbox on the course icon above to select this course. Once you have added all required courses to your cart, scroll to the top of this catalogue page to view your cart and purchase or enrol in your course(s). After you have purchased your course, access the course page and sign up to your desired session time.
Note: Available session times are listed below, Ensure a session time which suits you is available before purchasing this course. Spaces may be reserved for Peter Mac staff or open for sign-ups from the general public.
Disclaimer - Peter Mac Staff: by enrolling in this course, you are confirming that:
- You have approval from your line manager/delegate to enrol in this program and attend at your selected date/time.
- Your line manager/delegate has approved this program as relevant to your clinical practice and will support completion of relevant clinical competency assessments.
Bookings (Open to Staff & External): Radiotherapy Module One
No sessions currently available